Hi I’m Ian and I’m referred to by ‘he/him’ pronouns
Here is my user manual, as first discovered in Cassie Robinson.‘s blog post and written about in my new years resolutions for 2020. Everything is work in progress and I may move this to a page instead of a blog entry.
My full name is Mr Ian Forrester and this how you say my full name.
Conditions I like to work in
- I like a medium busy working environment. I find it hard to work in dead silence.
- I like having my own desk space but pretty flexible as I can work in coffee shops or on my sofa.
- I like to wear headphones and listen to music mixes, podcasts or audio books while working if its too quiet.
- I like flexible spaces, with adjustable seating
The Times/Hours I like to work
- I am trying to start my work day at 11am, I am not a early riser at all.
- I work best in the afternoon and evenings
- Think better at night
- I don’t mind being contacted at most times but I will likely only respond when not busy or have the time. I expect people to respect my decisions when I decline calls.
- My calendar is private but I prefer if things are set in my calendar so I don’t double book myself.
The best ways to communicate with me
- Text or instant messenger (signal & text) is the quickest way to get a response from me, but you will get a quick and short reply.
- Twitter Direct message isn’t the best due to the changes Twitter made to their APIs making my Android & Linux clients slower to get direct messages.
- Mastodon is better than twitter for communication
- I will answer my phone and prefer to talk over more complex issues
- I deal with emails all week and usually respond within a week, unless I’m busy
- Narratives are generally better than raw data
The ways I like to receive feedback
- I’d rather have conversations than leave things unspoken or at an inauthentic level.
- I like receiving feedback face-to-face
- I respect people with humanity & respect, and expect the same back
- I see all feedback as a learning opportunity so I like any feedback to include examples and also suggestions on how I / it could be better/different
Things I need
- I love ideas sessions with people, where we can freely think about what is possible without the if’s and but’s
- I do need a little time to reflect
- I need longer paper work in digital form, so I can re-shape it or have an app read it to me
- Authenticity, I find it harder to take people seriously if there is no authenticity
Things I struggle with
- Too much critiquing and logical reasoning drains my creative energy
- If I don’t understand the bigger picture, I find it harder to understand why I should be involved.
- I find unnecessary opaque processes draining
- Maintaining the status-quo
- Surface level conversations over a longer period of time
Things I love
- Hearing what others are working on and connecting up the dots of what we are doing together
- Human conversations over administrative tasks like replying to emails
- Understanding peoples experiences and influences behind projects
- Team away days
- Blue sky thinking
- Working on the cutting edge
- Working “in the open”
Other things to know about me
- I am an ENTP
- I have dyslexia
- I use interconnected, narrative and dynamic reasoning to make decisions on problems which are logically taxing.
- I approach problems in a learning as doing way
- My favorite saying is “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
- I bring my whole self to work (we should chat about what this means)
- I am quite expressive and say what I feel and mean quite openly.
- Fairness and justice matters to me. If I think someone is not being treated fairly, or someone is having an unfair impact on others, I will call it out.
- I believe hyperlinks subvert hierarchy, with a rich network of people.