2020 has been one heck of a year for me and pretty much every single person on earth. The Covid19 pandemic effected so many peoples lives from people dying to people having to operate around nationwide lock downs. People I know have had covid19 and a couple people are still suffering with the long covid19. From memory no one I know has died but I’m not certain.
The thing about the pandemic is its like background radiation. Its always there and it affects everything. Even if its small things.
Then in the middle of everything the police in American murdered a bunch of black people and the whole thing was captured. May 2020, was a turning point for many, finally we could talk about systematic racism and people were listening. Not to say they did a lot about it but in some places the light was shone and people finally understood what it means to be an anti-racist.
So with all that how was my year from the Quantified Self data point of view?
- My average sleep duration has increased from 7 hrs 20mins to 7hours 50mins. Average deep sleep was 4.03 hrs now its 4.35hrs.
- This year I started moving away from Gmail, so the numbers make sense. I had 32,601 conversations, have 20718 emails in my inbox and sent 7841 emails this year.
- Have 114,564 photos and 4,269 photos albums in Google photos.
- Tasks wise I have 304 open tasks and completed 3,315 over the year
- Been on all of 6 trips including Manchester, Warrington, Lancaster, London, Alton towers, Blackpool this year.
- According to Trakt, my most played show is Dave and film was Tenet, Most listened to podcast is the Daily Tech News Show.
- I spent 742 hours watching films (61.8hrs a month) and 1221 hours watching TV series (101.8hrs a month) – that is a lot, but understandable with being locked down.
Here’s my review of my new years resolutions from 2019.
- Head further a field with the scooter
Even with Covid19, there was a brief chance to go on holiday to the Netherlands in August. I had planned to take the scooter across from either Hull or Felixstowe. I checked out the pricing got the emergency kit, arranged my stay with a friend in the Netherlands. But then Greater Manchester went into a tier where leaving become problematic. I push on but then suddenly the Netherlands become a country when I could need to isolate for 14 days after returning. At that point I decided its all too much.
Its a shame as I also considered Ireland too but the season had changed and didn’t fancy driving in Ireland in the rain.
- Visit another new country
This never happened for obvious Covid19 reasons. Maybe next year will be better?
- Make some changes to the flat
Lots of changes to the flat, from a new desk, a network attached storage, reconfiguration of some basic things. I still have a number of tasks related to this to go through for 2021.
- Host film nights at mine
This didn’t happen for obvious Covid19 reasons. Although my bubble might break this somewhat.
- Spend less time in the UK / Live in a new country
Yeah Covid19 killed this but who knows what might happen next year
- Find the others and connect them
This has started to happen, but theres more work needed on this front.
- Play a new sport somewhat regularly
Another Covid19 killer, but I did spend a lot of time with the Diabolo.
- Drink more fizzy water
This happened, maybe too much and I had to stop drinking copious amounts of fizzy water late at night. I’m not drinking so much that I needed a subscription but I’m getting through a bottle of gas every 3 weeks?
- Look after myself better
I believe this one happen starting with my focus on my sleep patterns. Being able to make that decision about working later has made a massive difference to the quality of my sleep, even with the background humm of the pandemic.
- Be even more aware of the environment and what I can do to help
This believe it or not had happened, from spending much more time sorting out what I can recycle. Tesco also have been delivering my shopping with bags so been using them for many things for recycling.
- Put my money/resources where my values are, with platforms like Patreon
This happened, I signed up to Pateon as there is a number of podcasts I regularly enjoy and gave them small amounts of hard cash to help support them. I also donated time and some money to other places like anti-racist, feminist, neurodiverse organisations.
- Change my email signature with important information
Done, my signature now includes my pronoun, my user manual and status. I keep thinking about adding my free/busy time but don’t really like the fact google calendar reveals your email address when doing so.