2018 has been quite different in a good way.
Looking from the Quantified Self point of view
- My sleep deficit over the whole year has massively increased to 367 mins, My average sleep this year has been 8 hours 2mins (slightly down). Average deep sleep has been 4.03hrs now only 48% of my sleep.
- According to Gmail I have had 47,769 conversations, have 27,280 emails in my inbox and sent 7241 emails this year
- Have 60,460 photos and 3,220 photos albums in Google photos.
- Tasks wise I have 212 open tasks and completed 2,635 over the year
- Been on 52 trips including Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Skopje, Brussels, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Dublin and Edinburgh this year.
- According to Trakt, my most played show is Doctor Who and film was Avengers Infinity War. Most listened to podcast is the Daily Tech News Show.
- I spent 236 hours watching films (19.7 a month) and 409 hours watching TV series (46.6 a month)
- Spent 847.9 hours working in Media City UK, 104.2 hours working in many coffee shops in Manchester’s Northern Quarter, 82.9 hours in Liverpool, 40.5 hours working on a train and 73.3 hours working at home. Theres a very long tail with lots more locations like hotels, Nottingham Uni, York Uni, Berlin, Dubin, Ravensbourne, etc.
Regardless of the data he’s the review of my new years resolutions from 2018.
- Take Kate out of her comfort zone
Part 1 completed in Ireland in 2017, now its time for Japan or Hong Kong with a bunch of twists.
This didn’t happen, maybe Kates appetite for adventure has dimished?
I'm a home bird 😉 … what about the moon 🌚
— Kate Norman ♥ (@sarahkatenorman) September 25, 2018
Either way, I’m also quite impressed with work friend Jimmy Lee’s travelroulette to Hong Kong. I keep seeing good prices to fly from Manchester in early 2019.
- Head further a field with the new scooter
New Scooter, new waterproof wear, its time for a ride into Europe before the UK leaves Europe (said with a very heavy heart)
No go on this one. I had planned to head to Rotterdam to visit my volleyball friend Barbara then drive around the Netherlands and maybe into Beligum and north west Germany? Going to some theme parks on the way, before going back to Rotterdam and then back to Hull.
- Ride a roller coaster in another country
Closely related to the previous one, its got to happen in 2018. I love them and its time to go further a field to see what others are doing.
Grand total today at Parque Warner madrid
26 rides on super man
6 rides on stunt drop
6 rides on batman
Heart rate peaked at 125 BPM and as low as 53 BPM both on superman
Stunt drop had technical faults closed and batman is still nothing compared to 22yr old Nemesis
— Ian Forrester | @email@example.com (@cubicgarden) March 28, 2018
Then in my next trip to the nordic countries I went to Gröna Lund
— Ian Forrester | @firstname.lastname@example.org (@cubicgarden) June 18, 2018
Then hit my person best of 49x times on one ride by visited Tivoli theme park in Copenhagen, Denmark.
— Ian Forrester | @email@example.com (@cubicgarden) June 25, 2018
49 times on the Demon, people asks why didn’t I do a round 50? Well I did try but the ride closed just as I made the last journey. Unlike UK parks, the park was open very late 11pm so I took it easy and stopped for food, etc. So I wasn’t trying to break some personal record or anything. Just going around and around enjoying each ride.
Then I thought it would be just too rude to not visit Linnanmäki in Helsinki, Finland while attending Mydata 2018 which happened next door! Although I didn’t like much of the rides and it opened at 4pm?
Linnanmaki rollercoaster park In Helsinkihttps://t.co/T5pFvByfrN
Pretty dead no wonder they open at 4pm
In a hour and a bit…
11 rides on Linnanmakin
4 rides on Kirnu
1 ride on a wooden coaster from 1948? pic.twitter.com/mFuzjcVojW
— Ian Forrester | @firstname.lastname@example.org (@cubicgarden) August 28, 2018
Then finally I got to Port Adventura Barcelona, Spain. A very popular theme park with Rollercoaster fans.
Total rides today Portadventura https://t.co/Bz1nV0zA0i
32x Shambhala https://t.co/ozCHCd15w5
1x Diablo https://t.co/ORkdRKEXn2
4x redforce https://t.co/HVvYpTra9F
6x dragon khan https://t.co/4QHHYOBcqH
2x ferious baco https://t.co/IvvJ2vktDE
1x stampida https://t.co/aPDM3CjeiG pic.twitter.com/0kusjOUkOr
— Ian Forrester | @email@example.com (@cubicgarden) September 7, 2018
253 rides in another over country…
Truly smashed this one into pieces and loved every moment.
- Go to a new part of the world
This year I got to two new countries. Finland and Macedonia. Both suprised me, the Finnish was fancinating and massively different from the Swedish in many ways I didn’t quite get till I was there. Also great to see old Manchester friend Gabrielle while I was there.
Macedonia was also really interesting and I couldn’t help but link what I saw in Romania with Macedonia. One of the highlights was seeing and walking around a set of flats (centar) which I had only really seen on the screen while creating the living room of the future.
- See more comedy
I got to the Edinburgh Comedy Festival with my partner this year. The last time I was in the fringe festival was in 2007 during the TV Un-Festival. This year I did a lot of comedy from Edinburgh to a more local Cholton Chuckles.
Very enjoyable and something I’d like to keep this going for sure.
- Explore more about the brain using neuroscience
- Only eat artisan chocolate unless its Kitkat, Twix or Maltesers
So this worked out well except I broke it a few times with some poor chocolate choices. One such time was eating a milkyway out of a box celebrations, there was no Twix left and I didn’t realise Teaseers were Maltesers. But I have been pretty good most of the time and its really changed my tastes when it comes to chocolate. Now I find milk chocolate far too sugarly and milky, almost sickly.
Cocoarunners has done a excellent job providing different types of chocolates monthly and the range has been super impressive. Theres a blog post previously highlighting my favourate ones.
- Do more with my Estonian e-residency
I have a task to extend my e-residency card to 5 years which I need to do ASAP, likely in the next few weeks. After that I also have a task to look into self-signing using my estonian e-residency.
- Make better use of the online services I have paid or invested in
Started to reduce the amount of services but theres a lot more that can be done. But this year I have been making my home server more stable which runs Plex, Tinytiny RSS, etc.
- Be more daring in matters of the heart
So my partner asks…
“Yes more daring” I reply with a slight smile
I have been dating my partner for almost 10 months now and like all relationships its needs work, time and effort. Luckily my partner is understanding, patient and caring…sometimes! (smile!)
- Explore the future of online dating
Still very interested and theres some chatter about doing something around this with a potential new project in 2019. Although I’m not dating myself, theres still a moral problem I see and would like a hand in changing, regardless of my own status. Decentralise dating for the win of team human!
- Decentralise more and use POSSE more
This has happened, especially since I starting using Mastodon.
However Facebook dropped support for third-party tools to automatically share posts to Facebook Profiles, which is annoying and means my facebook is very quiet. Twitter also changed their API breaking a lot of my linux twitter clients forcing me to use the web interface. This meant my use of twitter has dropped too.
So generally I’m doing less POSSE because each platform is locking down their systems.