Matt Mason gave pretty much the same talk at Thinking Digital and I've been wanting to link or post the video ever since. I love that classic quote, Pirates are the most innovate people.
Here's the main takeaway headlines from Matt's talk,
- If you want to beat pirates, copy them.
- Good business is the best art.
- Don't let legal ruin a good remix without talking to marketing first.
- Abudance is better that advertising
- Some good experiences will always be scarce.
- In an economy based on abundance, your business model needs to be a virtuous circle.
And I'd like to add I just paid for a digital download of Matt's book The Pirates Dilemma. I bought it for about 3 pounds which seems fair to me. About the same price as a expensive coffee or decent sandwich at lunch time. As Matt, Cory and Tim Oreilly has put it before, The problem isn’t piracy, it’s obscurity. Well hopefully the video and this blog post might have helped Matt become less obscure.