Slotmusic is a collaboration between Universial music, Sony BMG, Warner music and EMI. Basiclly its DRM free music distrubuted on microSD cards. Yes microSD cards, why? I don't know, but it shows how out of touch the music industy really is. Not defending the iphone or ipod but like it or not there the most popular at the moment and they don't support microSD cards. Does the Zune? Don't think so either. I also have no idea whos going to pay for music on MicroSD? I bet the cards are locked to the drive, so that means swapping the · Online and P2P distrubtion is the way forward period. Hell I just bought 12 tunes from Audiojelly.com yesterday. Cost me about 16 pound in total.
So I have laid down the money for the flights and I'm going for sure now. I decided to go via Liverpool Airport, because getting to Luton Airport was always going to painful from Manchester. It either ended up with me sleeping at the Airport, Traveling on a Coach for 5 hours or spending time in London then going to Luton early in the morning.
I've also been planning my days through the schedule, here's some of the highlights which I want to attend.
- Better Media Plumbing for the Social Web by Stowe Boyd.
- How Do You CC? Creative Commons Case Studies for the Social Web
- Living in the Compute Cloud by Jonathan Weiss
- Leisa Reichelt and Suw Charman-Anderson's talks during lunch
- Designing for Flow by Bruno Figueiredo
- Web Next Generation, The Future of Context and Mobile by Jari Pasanen
- The Web in the World by Timo Arnall
- Electricity 2.0: Using the Lessons of the Web to Improve Our Energy by Tom Raftery, James Governor
All interesting stuff… but I'm wondering if 15mins is long enough to cover the woman in technology problem? I don't know if there is a girl geekdinner in Berlin? But maybe it might be a good place/chance to really delve into the issues. Tara Hunt ran a session at BarCampNorthEast which went into a lot more depth that anything I've heard before. I got a feeling Suw is certainly look at the issue at that level and deeper. I will try and get as much of it on camera of course.