What the heck is going on? Next week is insane! There are tons of events going on in London next week. I'll outline the crazyness…
- Monday there is a Symbian pub meetup and a Internet Peeps Dinner with Robert Loch.
- Tuesday there is Beers and Innovations 5: Aggregators and upsetters, Swedish Beers and Opera backstage. London Mixer was also going to be on the same day but they changed it to the 18th due to the crazy clashing.
- Wednesday there is London mixer and Innovation Wednesdays.
- Thursday there is a Microformats WSG meetup, Imperial Entrepreneurs Society Launch and a Tech Crunch UK launch party
- Friday there is a geekdinner with Molly.
- Saturday game on kicks off and Sunday is a Copyfighters Drunken Brunch and talking shop
Now imagine if Momo Monday, Girl geekdinner and Pub Standards were all added to the mix! Someone needs to sort this all out. Its too insane that all these events are happening the same week.
So getting serious for a while now. To be fair everything is ending up on Upcoming which is a good thing. I was using Eventful for quite sometime but since most of the events are ending up on upcoming, i'm not going to fight it. So things are getting a little more origanised here but the problem is that the actual event holders are not looking at upcoming first let alone posting them. Then add the extra pain in the butt that you need to sign in to register yourself with an event, not everyone likes that. So actually things are not that rosey. I thought the Jigsaw wiki might be a good idea but it seems few people use it for events. Then I thought Techcrunch UK might bring some calm to the crazyness but nope, its not happened.
I've filled you all in on the context but this conversation has gone on a little longer in the TechCrunch comments on the same subject. The suggestion of using a google calendar by D4rr3ll sounds good but I'm not sure it solves the problem of sign up but it will certainly help with clashes. As he said a XSL would mean anyone could see it on a normal webpage, and yes using the API event.add or event new, it would be possible to automaticlly add it to Upcoming and Eventful.
So I've setup a Google account for London Social events which I'll email around to people who run events in London. The Calendar is here – http://firstname.lastname@example.org. You can subscribe to the RSS here and Ical here.