I was having a chat with someone (don’t have his card to hand) during a event in Salford University. We were talking about the perceptive podcasts application and podcasting industry in general. I was talking about how podcasting is/should/could be a different medium. There is still the opportunity to do new and interesting things with the format which suit/challenge the audience.
This lead into a discussion about diversity and how the established people are never going to be that interested. We zeroed in on ethic diversity
“What we need is more diversity and new voices; not just in front of the microphone but as producers.“I power-phrase him saying.
This headed to towards a long discussion about how many black podcasts we have heard? I instantly talked about…
Then he dropped the bombshell, “what about the UK?”
I found it very difficult to name any off the top of my head, so decided to asked the twit/fed-verse
Question: How many UK podcasts are hosted and run by Black people from the UK?
I know a few,
But theres got to be many more right? #blacktwitter?
— Ian Forrester | @firstname.lastname@example.org (@cubicgarden) April 3, 2019
A few people got back to me and I thought I’d share…
- The Resource Groups Podcast
- About Race with Reni Eddo-Lodge
- No country for young women
- The shout out London network
- Techgrumps (recorded and produced by myself and others)
- There seems to be a few recommended from Reni here, but I haven’t heard them yet.
- I found a bunch here including SSquared, The Receipts Podcast, Dem Mans Derd. Theres also recommendations for 2h2rpodcast, Halfcast podcast, 2 high 2 riot podcast and Cut the chat (black barber podcast, I’ve always thought would make a good podcast)
Then I found, podcasts in color which lists podcasts from people of colour (because actually its not about just one race). Its hard to work out which ones are UK but I found these.
- MK on the mic
- Eloquently Saying Nothing
- beats, rhymes & life podcast
- Brown About Town LDN
- The Creative Juice
There are many more but they don’t seem to be updated recently.
So the short answer is yes there are UK black podcasts but not as many as I would have liked. I’m planning to go back through this list and resources to find new podcasts to subscribe to.
Dane Cardiel from Simplecast is “working closely with Dan and Jared on an initiative collecting input from podcasters of colour for the 2nd Annual Podcasters of Colour Networking Event at Podcast Movement 2019.” If you’re a podcaster of colour interested in participating in discussions later this month, here’s a form to fill in.
I missed my chance but good to know others are thinking about similar things.