So as you may have already seen, Data.gov.uk, BBC Backstage and Manchester Digital Development Agency (MDDA) will be running an ‘unconference’ focussing on data visualisations. The unconference will team up 100 developers and 100 designers to create diverse and imaginative data visualisations from open data. The aim of the event is to facilitate an unusual opportunity allowing the diversity of the two traditional job roles to bring together imaginative use of open data sources.
The website for more information and to sign up is dvwm.weebly.com
Whats the schedule?
April 9th will see a pre-party get together at a central Manchester venue (TBA)
April 10th will be the first day of the event complete with open sessions to help get you inspired
April 11th will be the day when you can show off your visualisation on stage
This may also help answer your questions?
- It will be a mix of hackday/mashed with a unconference type event, its the same format as we have used for Over the Air 2008
- There will be lots of coding, designing and general hacking.
- We have secured a venue in central Manchester which will allow over night stay, so theres no need to worry about hotels on the Saturday night.
- A small but good amount of food and drink will be available, but if you ever feel hungry for more theres plenty of shops and restaurants in central Manchester.
- The venue isn’t far from Piccadilly station, so getting to and from the South, East and West should be pretty easy.
- Anyone coming into Victoria Station should change on to the tram heading to Piccadilly.
- The event is totally free but requires signup beforehand and confirmation from the organisers.
- Visualisations don’t have to be just virtual, they can be physical too.
- You can use the hashtag or tag – DVWM to find related stuff
- Yes its in Central Manchester not Central London
- Yes we all love open data
Interested designers and developers can find out more and apply for an invitation via the DVWM website.