Theres the intenet 1% rule which seems to pop up all the time.
I’ve been thinking recently out of 100 people using social media , 1 person will want to create and upload their own media. However 9 people if the user interface is effortless, smooth and simple, would make slight changes to either reflect their own decisions, point of view, etc.
This is reflected in the 1% rule where 90% are lurkers, 9% are contributors and 1% creators.
Its strikes me that many things are missing the 9%. They miss the fact that the 9% can also contribute to the enjoyment of the 90% and be even more interesting than the 1%.
Everything is a remix and that includes,
- Git repo forks which is beautiful way to build upon something you’ve seen or used.
- Creative Commons which encourages you to remix media
- The fans who spend their own time building on top of the official works to create fan art at places like Deviant Art
- The millions of meme created pictures which fill social media feeds, even I became a meme thanks to Tim and Josh.
- The insane amount of feeds, webservices, APIs and even headless websites which encourage you to build on top of them.
- The pinterest fans who collect and arrange their pinboards to indicate there choices and style
- The many fan fiction stories which take characters out of one world and combine them in others
This is why I feel the DJ hackday could be a start of something extra special .