I knew there was a push to make installing custom rom Cyanogen easier to install but I didn’t know they had already gone this far… Thanks to Chris for bring it to my attention
Two months after raising $7 million to build a better version of Android, CyanogenModhas released a one-click installer to put its custom firmware on your Android device. Installation requires the phone to be tethered to a Windows PC via a USB cable. A companion PC app will be released later today as a free download. “Our goal for the installer has always been to allow more users to experience the benefits of CyanogenMod, without the hassles of technical guides and concerns associated with the process,”
So I look forward to Linux support real soon? And you got to love the FAQ
- Do I need to root my phone before installing?
- No. You can have a rooted phone, or not. The installer doesn’t care.
- Do I need to unlock my bootloader first?
- No, you don’t. If your bootloader is locked, we’ll unlock it for you.
- Can I install if I’m running a custom ROM?
- Provided the installer can identify your phone correctly, it doesn’t matter which ROM you’re running.
And I was just thinking about rooting my HTC 1X to join my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+ on Android 4.2.1. Now I don’t need to bother. Excellent news!